Sunday, January 16, 2011

Clover Point Dive


Diving at Clover Point has always been a favorite of mine as the site is home to a whole host of marine life. The area inside the bay is quite shallow and easily accessible to divers, and as a photographer the macro life is extraordinary. Diving here allows you to photograph several sculpin species, nudibranchs, sea pens, and stalked jellies.

On this particular day I was on the hunt for sculpins and gunnels, as the last few dives I had made at Clover Point had produced some great images of these diminutive fish. We all headed out from the boat launch and dropped over the small reef past the remnants of last summer’s kelp forest. The visibility was low, only about 15 ft. (5 m.), but this didn’t hinder my ability to shoot macro. About half way through the dive I came across three Scalyhead Sculpins darting in and out of the rocks. This aggressive behavior allowed me to capture some of the best images I have been able to collect of this species, even producing the image of one sinking its bright pink teeth into another! This helped me to see that you can be the best photographer you can be, but it is still helpful to have luck on your side!

Scott

Decorator CrabScalyhead SculpinScalyhead Sculpin


Clover Point dive site information - link

No comments:

Post a Comment